Monday, June 7, 2010

A Day in My Mind

Written by Katherine "Ringleader" Imp

6:30 am :  Beep, Beep, Beep.  Ugh, don't want to get up yet.  But I have to pee.  Omg, unzip tent!  Must pee.  Must pee.  Got it...

8:00 am : It is way too early to be going uphill.  I wonder what kind of view there is on Annapolis Rock.  I should eat a Cliff bar when I get there.  It was so great to see my college friends this week.  I should've had water after those beers last night.  I wonder how long it will be until I come back to Maryland.  I need to floss.

8:30 am : Nice view from Annapolis Rock.  It would've been cool to camp here.  I hope my muscles don't eat themselves.  I need to eat more snacks to make up for my lack of appetite at meal time.  Goodbye view, need to hike.

11:00 am :
Is that Brandon that smells or me?  Those day hikers smell so good.  I wonder if they can smell us.  Two roads diverge in a yellow wood - Robert Frost.  The road less traveled.  I'm glad we all memorized that poem.  Ahhhh!  Omg.  Brandon, that scream scared the hell out of me.  It's only a snake.  I should memorize "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" by Dr. Seuss tonight.  I'm so glad I'm not studying for the BAR right now.  I miss Chicago.  I should apply for Survivor again.  I think I need to eat another Cliff bar.

12:00 pm : Was that thunder?  Ugh.  Need to get off these boulders before it pours.  Must run.  Shit, almost fell!  Thank god for my trekking poles.  I wonder whether The Sex & The City movie is any good.  I wish I could push my start date for work back another week.  It was good to talk to Cowgirl yesterday.  I wonder if Nobody is ahead of us.  We have to catch up to Moose and Tetherball.  And it's raining.

2:00 pm : A road.  There are people.  Maybe it's trail magic.  I don't know if it is.  I'll pause near them and see what happens.  Would you like a popsicle?  Woohoo! Don't mind if I do.  I love trail magic.

3:00 pm : Picnic tables. Campground.  18 miles down, 5 to go.  A man is walking towards us.

3:30 pm : Man invited us into his home!  He's picking us up in 8 miles.  Wait, does that make today a marathon?  I wonder if there are strings attached to the man's gesture.  Maybe he's just lonely.  I don't know how I'm going to put on heels for work after this.  Man, this terrain is rocky.

5:15 pm : 7 miles by 7pm.  Ugh, not going to make it.  I need to run.  That lady at the last shelter was hilarious!  She could've entertained me for hours.  Ow!  Damn slippery log.  That's gonna bruise tomorrow.

7:00 pm : In car with man who seems legit.  Getting ice cream to eat after steak dinner.  Eggs and bacon tomorrow AM .  This is heaven.

8:00 pm : This man is a trail angel.  I'm drinking wine on a porch over-looking the mountains I just climbed.  I've got good company and steaks on the grill.  There's no place I'd rather be.

3 comments:

  1. vivid and telling post..brings your day in a life into perspective for us. congratulations on conquering Virginia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Sounds like a really good day. It is great to read about the people you meet on the trail and their friendliness and generosity.

    ReplyDelete