Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Chance To Breathe

Written by: Katherine Imp

I think the biggest fear people like me have about doing a trip like this is that the days will be too slow. Too dull. I'm a lawyer. I'm an entrepreneur. I'm addicted to triple-booking my time. Every day of my life needs a to-do list. And while some days are a little crazy, I'm generally pretty happy with this lifestyle.

First day I got out here I crashed. Hard. Yes the miles were hard. Yes I'm out of shape. Yes these mountains are kicking my ass. But it wasn't these factors that led to my demise. For the first time in years ... I had a chance to breathe. I had a chance to think. I had a chance to contemplate where I've been and where I'm going. And that was scarier than any rainstorm or uphill incline in the Georgia Mountains.

When you're out here in the mountains, there are no distractions. You can't use television, celebrity blogs, and fast food to hide your fears and forget about your problems. If you're sad or angry or happy or anxious ... you have to think about the reasons behind these emotions, whether you want to or not. And that can be really scary.

For 24 years I've been working towards one dream: to be a lawyer in Chicago. And now I'm here, and I have a chance to breathe, and I'm not sure where I want my life to go. Suddenly I feel lost, and sad, and unsure of my future. It's crazy what a little free time and fresh air can do to your head.

To say that the trail is dull would be a lie. For the first time in years I have time to reconnect with Brandon and Emily. I have time to see America in all its beauty. I have time to meet wonderful people from all over the globe. And most importantly, I have time to dream up new dreams. And that makes me more excited than ever to hike the Appalachian Trail.

3 comments:

  1. Kate,

    This could be the best thing to happen to you. Do you remember that lecture I gave on the first day of your 1L research class? The most important thing is that you find what makes you truly happy. If that means NOT being a lawyer, fine. I predict that whenever you find whatever you find, it will all make sense, even law school. After all, it worked for me.

    Good luck, and keep thinking.

    --Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    Glad to hear your mind is no longer cluttered with Illinois law facts. Just wait till you get to take in the beauty of spring wild flowers. Ah, the healing effects of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I'm glad you're getting time to think. Wherever your life goes, you will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete